So I thought every man and his dog already knew about the awesomeness that is the affordable Kmart Cubby. I thought I was late to the game in renovating this bad boy, but i’ve been inundated with people asking me HOW ARE WE DOING IT. Soooo I thought i’d document the process and explain every little detail so that YOU TOO can hack the cubby like a pro!!!
The Kmart cubby house is really reasonably prices at $199, but you need to be super fast to buy one as they sell like hot cakes!!! Ps, for everyone about to FREAK THE EFF OUT over our choice in #13. It’s because this is for Alaska’s birthday & she’s born on the 13th. So it’s SUPER lucky for us ahahah.
BUY IT HERE
Originally I loved the idea of leaving the cubby with the raw timber (to also save on buying paint). BUT you can see all of the nails on the outside etc so it’s best to give it a fresh coat of paint to hide any imperfections. Be as creative as your heart desires, we added a bright red door to channel Ben & Alaska’s English heritage. All paint is weather proof, outdoor suitable.
- The Roof- Dulux Weather Shield Monk
- The walls- Ashfield
- The window ledges- Vivid White
- The Door- Gloss Red Box
Bunnings & Ikea were my go-to in finding cute & heritage style accessories for the cubby makeover. There is sooooo much choice on the shelves though to match YOUR own style, so again, be creative and don’t be scared to jazz up the cubby with unique touches.
- Liberty Curtains $79 SHOP HERE
- Brass handle $12 SHOP HERE
- Door numbers $3.30 SHOP HERE
- Gold door bell $28 SHOP HERE
- Floor Mat $12.95 SHOP HERE
- Fairy Lights $5 SHOP HERE
- Artificial plants $5 SHOP HERE
- Ben followed the instructions and put together the walls
- He then unscrewed the windows, door & other detailing that was going to be a seperate colour. The idea being he would be able to get in and out of the cubby without the roof on so he could paint the internal walls.
- If you’re choosing to paint ONE COLOUR, you could paint it as a whole cubby, If you’re choosing different colours like we did then HOT TIP- Paint it in different parts
- Unscrew the wooden door knob as we didn’t use this
- Paint the Base of the cubby using a spray gun if you have the room. It’s extremely messy though and ben highly recommends hand painting if you have the patience and time.
- Paint the roof panels, windows and door separately
- Once all is painted, put it all together as per Kmart instructions
Click on each image to take you to the creators IG page
This post is in no way sponsored. All words, creativity, imagery & thoughts are completely my own.
Don’t forget to stop by my Instagram page for more inspo, shits & giggles.
This looks gorgeous. Just wanting to know how you hung the curtains. Did you use a curtain rod or just stapled to window frame?
Hi good work on the cubby! I was just wondering how many litres of paint you would reccomend buying for the cubby? Cheers
This is sooo beautiful Kyree! You guys did a phenomenal job, i wish my house looked that magical!!
This is really looking beautiful. I love the tutorial you shared. Thanks for sharing.
Omg this amazing!! I always wanted a cubby house growing up but being one of five we could never afford one. Then I always said to myself when I have a child, I would want them to have one, so I really want to get this cubby and paint it for my daughter. Just a question, did Ben sand it back first or just paint directly on it?
Silly question is this rain and snow proof ?
Mate. This is bloody dreamy. Can you do one for me and ship it here, yas please!
Omg this is amazing! Good job to you and your hubby. You’ve inspired me to do a ‘boy’ version for my sons first birthday in March. 😊
So stunning!! What a lucky girl 😊 I was wondering about 13 haha but birthdate totally makes sense! My little girl was both the 13th too and a Friday 😂