I often get asked how I “appear” to keep on top of things as a busy working mum. Through social media my house always looks semi tidy and things are always in their place. The truth is, my house does actually look this most of the time. Both my husband and I have a little routine in place so that our house is kept tidy and our minds are kept clutter free and refreshed- Which is how we keep this a tidy reality.
Being clean and tidy can completely get away from parents, especially when you’re swamped with parent duties and keeping little ones entertained. Doing the dishes, hanging out washing or even lugging out the giant hoover is the last thing anyone wants to do at any stage of the week. We all know being a parent can be exhausting and throwing in “house keeping” on top of it all makes for one hectic AF week!!!
I know personally, falling behind on house hold chores can often lead to that dreaded “wife guilt”. BUT doing the chores we know actually need doing can also lead to the horrible “mum guilt” because we should be spending that as quality time with our mini humans. WE JUST CAN’T WIN!!!
My Hot Tidy Tips & Remaining Sane Too
- Let the kids make as much mess as their creative minds encourage during the day. Try not let this mess upset you, don’t waste your energy running around after them making things tidy during the day
- Before you go to bed, dedicate 15 minutes to:
– Packing away any left over toys out
– Put the clean dishes away & wash anything on the sink
– Take out the bins
– Put away everything in eye sight back into its rightful place (this doesn’t take long)
– Prep breakfast & lunches. Get your coffee ready to just add hot water
– Answer any outstanding emails or text messages. Might not be apart of “cleaning” but it will make you feel more organised
The aim for each night is to start with a clean slate & NOT go to bed KNOWING there’s mess to wake up to.
- Spending 15 minutes a night doing small tidying tasks will make it less overwhelming. If you stop saying “I’ll do that tomorrow” which leads to the next day which eventually leads to the end of the month, you’ll be drowning in too many larger tasks (that can be avoided if tackled bit by bit daily)
- Use a cordless Hoover to run around the main areas. A clean floor puts my mind at ease each morning for Alaska to crawl around on
- Following these steps each night will allow you to go to sleep less stressed, will encourage you to wake up feeling a little more organised & will mean your starting your day NEW & TIDY
- Hoovering for a few minutes each night will mean less work when doing a proper house clean, it also reduces dust & mess, instead of it piling up each week
- Don’t overwhelm yourself & think your house needs to be spotlessly clean all the time. I rarely actually scrub my house “clean” but it will always look “tidy enough” at the end of each day
I used to avoid hoovering my house like the plague!!! The thought of getting out the giant Vacuum, plugging it in, lugging it around the house while it hit me in my shins, actually made me squirm ahaha! Investing in a cordless Vacuum is an actual game changer! It honestly allows you more freedom and flexibility to hoover wherever and whenever you want, WITHOUT THE HASSLE!
I’m OBSESSED with the Godfreys Hoover Ultra Light Handstick as it’s super affordable (for $299 + FREE shipping) and actually gets the job done well. Once it’s charged it lasts on full speed for 20 minutes and it’s really lightweight to carry around the house. When I was reviewing this particular model, I was able to carry my 12kg toddler on my hip and multitask like a champion! This flexibility is so important to me as I need to know I can still get everything done in a quick time frame.
Thank you to Godfreys for sponsoring this post. All products were hand selected & honestly reviewed by myself & Husband. I’ve only shown what I truly love & would recommend All imagery, words and thoughts are completely my own.
Don’t forget to stop by @misskyreeloves for more inspo, shits and giggles.